Here in the Indianapolis area, we know all about cold winters. If you’re building a new home here, you’ll thank yourself many times over if you follow through with including a fine new fireplace in your construction plans. Modern fireplaces of all types are much better than their forebears at bringing supplemental – or primary – heat to any kind of home. Let’s take a look at the most popular reasons for outfitting a new home with a lovely fireplace.
Why add a fireplace to your home?
1. Heat. As noted, newer fireplaces are excellent supplemental or primary heating sources. For the ultimate in heating capacity, go with a highly efficient gas stove or gas insert. You’ll derive a little less heat from a wood-burning unit, but for some people the lovely ambiance of a real wood fire is enough to sacrifice some heat.
2. Good looks. The great thing about shopping for a fireplace these days is the huge number of different styles, colors, sizes and finishes available. Whatever the size and specs of the room where your fireplace will go, you won’t have any trouble finding just the right look and aesthetic appeal to enhance the room’s décor. From rustic and traditional to sleek and contemporary and everything in between, there’s a fireplace to satisfy every taste.
3. Home resale value. Ask any real estate pro if a handsome fireplace increases the perceived value of a home in the minds of home shoppers, and you’ll get a resounding “yes!” Fireplaces are awesome centerpieces that draw immediate attention – whether or not a fire is going in them.
4. Heat for smaller rooms. In developing your home construction plans, consider adding smaller fireplaces in bedrooms, bathrooms, the kitchen or the rec room. Gas fireplaces are particularly suited for these applications because they’re easier to vent than wood fireplaces and can be placed just about anywhere. For even more placement flexibility, look into the selection of modern vent-free gas fireplaces.
5. Clean burns. Driven by EPA laws, today’s fireplaces burn cleaner and more efficiently than older models. Gas units are ultra-efficient and clean-burning. And even the wood-burning models on the market today burn their fuel with fewer toxins and less smoke than in past years. All this means more safety for your family and a good move for the environment.
6. Outdoor options. When considering adding a fireplace to your new home, don’t forget about the option of having a beautiful fireplace in your outdoor recreation and socializing area. In addition to being a great talking point, outdoor fireplaces help to take the chill off those chilly spring and autumn evenings.
Chimney Solutions of Indianapolis sells and installs all the fireplace models we’ve talked about here. We’ll help you select the perfect unit for your specific needs, and we’ll make sure that it’s installed for the ultimate in safety and heating efficiency. Pay us a visit at 5316 W 56th St., or reach us by phone at (317) 757-6979. Our hearth professionals are standing by to help.